Urban Decay Naked Cherry vs. Naked Heat..... which is better? Are they worth the money?

My first blog post of 2019 so happy new year everyone! Hope you've all had a great start to the new year. For my first blog post of 2019, I thought I would do something similar to my Too Faced Born This Way concealer review, except on a particular eye shadow palette... or in this case two eye shadow palettes. 

As you can probably read by the title, I am going to be reviewing/comparing the Urban Decay Naked Cherry palette alongside the Urban Decay Naked Heat palette. But first, here's a bit of back story. Now, if you know me you know I own a lot of eyeshadow palettes, it's probably the 'type' of make-up that I own the most of because I love them! Infact, I've actually just had to declutter my collection and get rid of what I no longer use/almost ran out of because it was getting too much.

One of the palettes I did get rid of was my Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. If you're familiar with this palette, you'll know that it's a very cool toned palette, the most cool toned out of the three original 'Naked' palettes released from Urban Decay. It was very grey toned, which to be honest looking back, I have no idea why I bought that one, it's the least 'me' out of all the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I pretty much NEVER wear cool toned eye shadows. But it was the first 'high end' eye shadow palette that I ever purchased and at the time, I loved it. However, as the years have gone by I just never really used that one. The more eye shadow palettes I got, the more I realised that I didn't like cool tones and that in all honesty, the Urban Decay eye shadow formula just wasn't the best. 

Around about two years ago I think it was, was when Urban Decay brought out their 'Heat' range of products. This included eyeliners, lipsticks and of course, the Naked Heat eye shadow palette. The collection was all very warm-toned, oranges, browns and reds etc, which is right up my street. But at first, I wasn't really that fussed about this particular make-up launch, having kind of already being turned off by the Urban Decay eyeshadow quality, I wasn't going to buy into it.

However, after seeing some reviews on YouTube and from other bloggers saying that the eye shadow formula was different, I decided to cave and spend the £40 on the Urban Decay Naked Heat eye shadow palette. 

This is probably the bit that you're most interested in and why you've clicked on this blog post so I'm just going to cut to the chase. The formula of the Naked Heat is so much better than the original Naked palettes. The matte shades in particular are really good, my favourite shade of the whole palette is 'He Devil' which is a matte warm toned red shade. Now comparing this to my other eye shadow palettes, some of the darker shades in the palette do need more working with in terms of blending etc, so it's probabl not going to be just a quick-easy-put-something-in-the-crease and get out of the door look like I can get with my Holy Grail palette from Violet Voss but overall I would completely agree with the fact that Urban Decay have really stepped up their eye shadow formula. If you're a warm toned eye shadow kind of person, then this palette is definitely for you... you can create such gorgeous orangey/red eye looks with this. 

Sooo.... fast forward to 2018 and Urban Decay released their 'Cherry' range, which saw the release of similar products to the Heat range, except of course a completely different colour scheme. The Cherry collection is very pink and purple, very berry toned so in a way completely different to what the Naked Heat offers. 

Now, I was very tempted to buy the Naked Cherry palette a lot of times but just never seemed to go through with the purchase. However, for Christmas, my boyfriend bought me the palette as one of my presents which for one, I was honestly very surprised at because I don't think he has a clue about make-up at all (soz hun), and two was very nice of him as I know they're not the cheapest things for what they are, especially for a boy to buy. 

So when I got this, I was very interested to know whether the formula was the same as the Naked Heat, or was it even better.... or worse? 

I have to admit, I've only had the Naked Cherry palette for just under a month now, so I've not used it, nearly as much as my Naked Heat but from what I've used so far, it's pretty much the same formula.

Here are some swatch comparisons that I did on my arm of both palettes and you can kind of see the difference between pigmentation, in that the Cherry palette does appear to be more pigmented from the get go. However, how things swatch on your arm or hand can tell a completely different story to how they perfom on the eye with a primer or some sort of base put down on your eye. 

To me, so far, they seem exactly the same formula, with the darker shades being a bit more difficult to work with, no matter what base I use on my eyes, but as long as you don't mind having a bit of play around and a blend, then that's not a problem. Another thing I would note is that the shimmer shades in both palettes work better when wet so I'd maybe spray a bit of Max Fix + or whatever setting spray you use to wet them before applying.

There seems to be a £2.50 difference price point, with the Naked Cherry being £2.50 more expensive, which I don't really understand why because like I've said, there's no difference in quality for me, the packaging and layout is the same, both palettes come with a brush so to me that makes no sense so don't let that sway your opinion on one or the other.  

Both of these palettes, for me, have completely changed the game for Urban Decay eye shadows and I'm definitely back on the hype. They're both completely different colour schemes so you're not going to be able to achieve the same look with both palettes so they're diverse enough, so that if you want both palettes, it's not going to be a waste of money because they're both so different. 

But are they worth your money? The Naked Cherry is £42 and the Naked Heat is £39.50 so not exactly the cheapest of price points and if you were to buy both, that would set you back just over £80. But if you're like me, a make-up lover/collector, then of course you'll probably already own both palettes or even just one and are contemplating getting the other. They're both great palettes and an Urban Decay eye shadow palette, I think, is a staple in anyone's make-up collection, no matter which one it is. I think these are both worth the money but of course, like everything in make-up, it's all down to personal preference. Both palettes, have a very different colour scheme. You might hate oranges on your eyes and love pinks or vice versa so unless you're a make-up lover, it might be worth just picking the one you know you'll get the most use out of so you get your moneys worth.


To be honest, I'd highly recommend both to any one who asked. Unlike my Naked 2 palette, I know I'll get a lot of use out these because for one, they're both the type of colours that I would go for and two, the pigmentation is so much better than the older Naked palettes.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts